In California, smog inspections are required for all vehicles produced after 1975 (with a few exceptions). Luckily Automotive Excellence in Placerville is a California Certified Smog Check location. Call us today at 530-622-2701 or fill out our easy appointment form for a hassle free automotive repair experience.
What if I fail my smog Test?
Commonly vehicles fail a California Smog test due to above acceptable levels of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, carbon dioxide, or oxygen. Hydrocarbon is produced when your vehicle does not fully burn it’s fuel, this can also cause high levels of oxygen. On the other hand, Nitrogen Oxides are the result of excessive heat in the combustion chamber.
How can do I get my car to pass smog?
There are many reasons that can cause a car to not pass smog, here are just a few common system malfunctions that will often cause this.
- Improper ignition timing.
- EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) System maintenance needed.
- Ignition system components need to be replaced.
- Malfunctions due to faulty air or oxygen sensor.
- Faulty fuel injection components resulting in too much or too little fuel being distributed to the engine.
- Catalytic converter needs to be replaced.
Again this is just a general list of some of the common problems that can lead to smog test failure. Since Automotive Excellence is a full service Smog Check and Automotive Repair center we can help diagnose and repair any emissions problems that may arise in your vehicle.